What is the IDES-EDU project?
The IDES-EDU project educates, trains and delivers specialists, both students and professionals, in Integral Sustainable Energy Design of the Built Environment.
- Curricula and training programs (master courses and post graduate courses), including new methods of teaching that will equip students and professionals to work within a multidisciplinary and interdependent problem-solving framework
- Exchange and collaboration between the students and professionals, involved in these courses to come to a mutual exchange of experience, approach and understanding
- Certification and accreditation of the courses on national level as well frameworks for European certification for participants and for buildings designed in multidisciplinary teams
- An intelligent dynamical and adaptive multimedia teaching portal to make the educational packages available to graduate students and building professionals in Europe at large.
- Increasing European awareness, promoting implementation and commitment on Integral Sustainable Energy Design by promotional campaigns in the building sector as well as by exchange programmes between universities.
In IDES-EDU 15 universities will develop these curricula and training programmes for MSc students and Professionals within a European framework. The courses will be further elaborated and implemented within national consortia in which educational institutes will collaborate with relevant key actors and stakeholders, such as representatives and/or branch organisations of the building sector (constructors, real estate developers, architects, building research institutes, utilities, suppliers, consultants) and accrediting bodies.
All EU member states will be addressed in this action by the university exchange programme, potentially involving universities in all member states, starting from the 3rd year of the project.
What are the major outputs and results?
- Full four semesters courses on Integral Sustainable Energy Design of the Built Environment on Master and on Post Graduate level including a EPBD basic package, 16 theoretical educational packages and a practical multidisciplinary design case and facultative education packages per institute
- Implementation of these courses with common end-terms, accreditation and a framework for common certificates in 15 countries
- Exchange and collaboration workshops between students and professionals
- Internal students exchange program
- A general framework for the training and education building objects to be used by students and post graduate participants in the practical design cases.
- Elaborated designs and terms of references for building objects by each educational institute and Business plans for realization of the building objects by the participating educational institutes and the members of the collaborating national consortia
- Realised training and education buildings by Hogeschool Zuyd, Heerlen and by University of Ljubljana
- An intelligent dynamical and adaptive multimedia teaching portal
- Recommendations to relevant stakeholders and policy makers on the potential of integrated sustainable energy building design, capacity and potential of the trained experts,
- Increasing European awareness, promoting implementation and commitment on Integral Sustainable Energy Design in the Built Environment, through the implementation of interdisciplinary educational courses
- Dissemination of the action in all EU member states by exchange programme with other universities through whole EU
What are the IDES-EDU objectives?
IDES-EDU will contribute to optimised market orientated implementation of the EU directives on EPBD and promotion of renewables and will also facilitate the process to reach the EU targets on longer term. This is achieved by delivering specialists on academic level, trained and educated in integrated sustainable energy design and working in multidisciplinary teams. This enhances the efficiency in the building process and will lead to optimised building concepts in terms of energy efficiency, integration of renewables, thermal comfort and health, and costs effectiveness. IDES-EDU will contribute to the start of an essential transition in the building process. In this transition the current fragmentation of the building process, i.e. working in a traditional non-integrated way leading to non- or sub-optimised solutions, will be taken away.
The students exchange programme with other educational institutes, not participating now in this action, is supposed to lead to a European wide dissemination of the results of this action. It is expected that each educational institute, participating in IDES-EDU, will establish an exchange programme with at least four other institutes.
Which are the target groups?
The Building Sector will have the availability of specialist trained in integrated sustainable energy building design, higher competitiveness in EU market.
Educational institutes outside the consortium benefit of the action by extended exchange programme. All institutes deliver students trained in working in multidisciplinary teams and working with EU objectives on sustainable energy.
Students will be very well equipped for a new market demanding specialists trained in working in multidisciplinary teams and working with EU objectives on sustainable energy
Architects will get acquaintance with new design methods and understanding of necessity for integrated buildings design for EPBD and beyond EPBD level.
Occupants and end-users will have the benefits of better thermal comfort, indoor air quality and extreme low energy costs.
Building research institutes will get extra research environments and resources (i.e. students) to test and monitor innovative components and products.
The IDES-EDU work programme
The project is organised by 15 universities that will collaborate closely on a European scale and on a national scale with national stakeholders from the building sector. During the time of the project master courses will be developed for Integrated Sustainable Energy Design of the Built Environment in which students of several faculties of their institutes will collaborate. The framework of these courses will be developed on European scale and will be further elaborated and implemented on national scale within the national consortia. An important action in this project is that the courses for Integrated Sustainable Energy Design will be concretized in practice by the design, elaboration and realisation of so called training and education building objects. Each institute will develop one or more of these training and education building objects, that will be completely designed, engineered in both the master as the post graduate courses and if applicable, also partly built and installed by students. During and particularly after the realization these buildings will be used as real life research, training and monitoring platforms. The work is elaborated in following work packages:
WP 1: Project management
WP 2: Composition and harmonisation of education and training packages and integration of existing material
WP 3: Implementation of education and training packages
WP 4: Development of training and education building objects
WP 5: Intelligent dynamical and adaptive teaching portal
WP 6: Monitoring of results
WP 7: Specific communication and dissemination
IDES-EDU structure of education
Project partners have identified and assessed the market needs in their country and concluded to a common required “expertise profile” which along with their experience helped determine the structure of education. The final educational structure for IDES-EDU is as follows:
Fundamental Educational Packages
• Integrated Design Process
• Architectural Quality
• Sustainable Buildings
• Building and Renewable Energy Concepts
• Indoor Environment
• Outdoor Environment
• Market and cost benefit
Theoretical Educational Packages
• Heating / Cooling
• Energy Production
Practical Educational Package
• Training building objects as cases for implementation of Integrated Energy Efficient Building Design theory and methodology (> work package 4)
The content of the educational packages is at the final stages of development. Its completion is expected at the end of 2011. Once it is finalized it will be implemented into existing courses of the 15 partner Universities or as a new course.